Search
¤  www.lochandkey.com Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
www.lochandkey.com
A Whiskey Society
  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarEvents Calendar    
RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Navigation

Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Thru' the Keyhole Newsletter

Email

Links
Untitled Document

julios

The Whisky Professor
Brad Jarvis

scotch whisky org

Scotch Whisky Org

buffalo trace

Bulleit

Man in Skirt

Highland Park

Gordon

Malts.com

Whiskt Cast

Bushmills

Whisky Drinker

mind of men

Knob Creek

Balvenie

Barr

Van Winkle

Users On-Line

In total there are 26 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:31 am

Fresh Ginger Syrup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Any Topic you want View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fresh Ginger Syrup
Whisk(e)yLass
Private
Private

Bonus

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Fresh Ginger Syrup Reply with quote

After the Hawthorne bar in Boston lent Nicole to a Whisky Wednesday a couple of weeks back, I was inspired to have a go at making my own fresh ginger syrup.

You will need:
1 or 2 medium to large ginger roots. Look for ones that have as few nodes and arms as possible, as it will be easier to peel the root.
1 Cup Turbinado Sugar
1 Cup Water

Tools:
Vegetable peeler
A box grater or a cheese rasp
A fine sieve or a clean french press coffee maker
A small saucepan if you want to cook the syrup rather than brew it.

The quantity of ginger used can be left entirely up to you and your preferences for spiciness. I like my ginger syrup with a kick so I use more root.
You will want to slice off the extremities of the root to make peeling easier. Peel the whole root and then grate it finely using the small cheese grater side on a box grater, or using a cheese rasp over a bowl. When you do this you will want to use it over a bowl or a plate with a lip, as the ginger will begin to release its juice.
In a glass measuring cup or medium sized bowl, add the 1 cup of turbinado sugar and pour 1 cup of boiling water over it. Stir it until all the sugar is dissolved.

At this point you can do three things: Press the grated ginger through a sieve and extract the juice into the hot sugar syrup, Add the grated ginger to the syrup and cook on low heat to make a thicker syrup before straining the ginger out, or Add the grated ginger and syrup to a french press and let it seep.

I found that using a french press kept things really easy for cleanup as well as serving if the syrup was going to be used the same day for drinks. It also allowed for the most ginger seepage time. When I did this, I was using the syrup to make custom Dark and Stormies for a party. It allowed people to pick how sweet and gingery they wanted their drink to be, as well as choose whether they wanted carbonation or not.

If you want to keep the syrup, pour it into a tight sealing bottle and store in the fridge.

As to what to do with the sweet ginger sludge at the bottom of your french press, you can squeeze out the last bits of syrup from it and then cook with it. I found making a batch of gingersnap cookies turned out amazing.

Back to top View user's profile Send private message
zzelda
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trader Joe's sells a Triple Ginger & Lemon ice cream that is frequently out of stock that would go very nice with ?? leftover Ginger Syrup laced with rum??

“Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold.” Jerry Vale
SethG
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a more exotic (less labor intensive) option, check out http://www.pacifikool.com/ They have both Hawaiian and Thai ginger syrups and they ship.

Whisk(e)yLass
Private
Private

Bonus

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only seems like a labor intensive project the first time or two, if you don't have supplies around. The stove cooking method took me 20 minutes or so for a 16oz batch, and only about 15 minutes with the french press method. The amount of money spent is far less than if you were to buy a bottle pre-made and have it shipped, around $4.

megazone
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're lazy you could also use a food processor with a grating disc to do the grating - and you have the bonus of it capturing all the gratings and juice for you.

This sounds like something to try for summer cocktails.

I've also been thinking about making some habanero infused tequila since I keep going to Mezcal for their cocktails that use it. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Any Topic you want All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: