Search
¤  www.lochandkey.com Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
www.lochandkey.com
A Whiskey Society
  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarEvents Calendar    
RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Navigation

Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Thru' the Keyhole Newsletter

Email

Links
Untitled Document

julios

The Whisky Professor
Brad Jarvis

scotch whisky org

Scotch Whisky Org

buffalo trace

Bulleit

Man in Skirt

Highland Park

Gordon

Malts.com

Whiskt Cast

Bushmills

Whisky Drinker

mind of men

Knob Creek

Balvenie

Barr

Van Winkle

Users On-Line

In total there are 26 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 386 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:31 am

2013 New York WhiskyFest Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Any Topic you want View previous topic :: View next topic  
2013 New York WhiskyFest Weekend
thirdgate
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: 2013 New York WhiskyFest Weekend Reply with quote

I was due to be in New York on Wednesday and Thursday for the Whisky Jewbilee, so I decided to treat myself to the WhiskyFest Weekend. I had been to a number of WhiskyFests, going back to when it was held at Tavern on the Green, but not since it went from a weeknight to a weekend event. (One of the reasons for the Whisky Jewbilee event was the sizeable number of Jewish whisky lovers who could not participate on the Sabbath.)

The Grand Tasting on Friday night was like all the other Grand Tastings I had attended: lots of people and lots of whiskies. As a regular attendee at Loch & K(e)y Whisk(e)y Wednesdays and other events there was little being poured I had not previously tried. I expected that, but attended primarily to see numbers of whisky notables and L&K friends. I wasn't disappointed! Greetings to all Loch & K(e)y members from Sam Simmons, David Stewart, Jimmy Russell, Jim McEwan, Bill Lumsden, John Glaser, Richard Paterson, and Craig Beam.

After the Grand Tasting I made the mistake of joining a few friends at St. Andrew's for "a pint". What a night with Dave Broom, Robin Robinson, David Blackmore, and Iain McCallum.

I said "mistake" because the whisky seminars started at 9 AM on Saturday!

And what a start: the first seminar was "Wanted Dead or Alive: A Tasting of Rare Whiskies". Those included single casks of Glenury Royal 23yo, Kininvie 23yo, Sazarac 18yo, and Stitzel-Weller pre-1991. I was able to salvage small samples of each for future enjoyment. I had to be selective in my samples, though, since I had only brought 12 small French square sample bottles. So I used the remaining eight for Highland Park 1968, Aberlour 21yo, Balvenie Offspring (a marriage of '80, '82, and '86 - the birth years of David Stewart's children), Ardbeg 1973, Bruichlaiddich 2013 Feis Ile, Dalmore Selected, and Bernheim 23yo. That's only seven.

The eighth remaining sample came during the most emotional moment of the weekend. Parker Beam, Master Distiller of Heaven Hill, was recognized as a "Whiskey Legend". He has been diagnosed with ALS. Seven major Kentucky distilleries had contributed bourbons to honor him and his charitable work to fight Lou Gehrig's disease. Bourbons from Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey, and Woodford Rsserve were married together and put in two crystal decanters to be auctioned on the following day to benefit the Parker Beam Promise of Hope Fund. ( I checked today, and the Bonham Whisky Auction site indicated the two bottles went for $10,115.) Parker signed the wall of the Jim Beam Cold Storage Room at Julio's when he visited The Loch & K(e)y Society. I intend to save my small sample of Parker's Unity bottling until I raise it to his memory there when he passes.

It was one tired but satisfied Old Man Whisky who caught the train at Grand Central late Saturday afternoon.

zzelda
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo !!!

“Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold.” Jerry Vale
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
whiskysid
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Any Topic you want All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: