Search
¤  www.lochandkey.com Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
www.lochandkey.com
A Whiskey Society
  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarEvents Calendar    
RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Navigation

Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Thru' the Keyhole Newsletter

Email

Links
Untitled Document

julios

The Whisky Professor
Brad Jarvis

scotch whisky org

Scotch Whisky Org

buffalo trace

Bulleit

Man in Skirt

Highland Park

Gordon

Malts.com

Whiskt Cast

Bushmills

Whisky Drinker

mind of men

Knob Creek

Balvenie

Barr

Van Winkle

Users On-Line

In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 294 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 am

Week 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Whisk(e)y Challenge View previous topic :: View next topic  
Week 9
DrEntropy
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Week 9 Reply with quote

The Wasmunds Single Malt clearic has now aged 42 days, the last 7 upstairs in the location I ruined the Four Roses I used to season the barrel with (see my week 3 or 4 report for this sad story).

Despite moving the cask to a more active temp location it didn't really pump up the color much but I think I did get a bit more.

I'm comparing the 42 day sample with the 35d and 7d samples today:

Nose is still a bit green but much less grassy with more spicy and nougot notes coming in. Nice improvement from the 35d sample and it's come an astonishing way from the 7 day sample which strikes me as sweet and sour grain today. Very grassy. Can't find the apple or cherrywood in the 7d sample at all.

Palate: much more mature than nose but still could use more time - big improvement from last week. All the hard edges are being rounded off nicely and the palate is solid aromatic oak with apple and citrus on the back palate. The 35d sample palate is all over the map and I can see where it's going now. The change in this dram in the last 7 days is amazing.

Finish is huge and ringing... (I think the ringing is the high proof.. I've been dramming these cowboy style for the most part.) Some minor off notes that still need work and it wanders a bit on the back side but I like where this is going. 35d finish is really still a bit industrial so the finish has really changed a lot the last week as well. I don't recognize the 7d finish as even being related to the 42d - opposite sides of the taste spectrum with the 7d almost mildly menthol and mint-like.

Conclusions: Let it Ride! I haven't watered these down the last two rounds and really need to dram these knocked down to about 50% for starters. I think the notes will change a bit as well. Overall, I think the dram changed by the following degrees over the past week:

Palate - substantial change this and probably closest to the top of the curve
Finish - noticable change and getting better, still has a way to go
Nose - moderate change and needs more time than the others to bring to optimal

I guess this means that although I'm not getting lots more color in the dram that the hotter more active location is quickly changing the malt's character and this barrel will need to be watched closely over the next couple of weeks.

I've also pulled 540 ml in samples from the original 2.25 liters which leaves me about 1.6 liters (minus the angels share) left in the barrel which increases the head space.

Greedy angels!

Slainte! Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Whisk(e)y Challenge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: