Search
¤  www.lochandkey.com Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
www.lochandkey.com
A Whiskey Society
  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarEvents Calendar    
RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Navigation

Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Thru' the Keyhole Newsletter

Email

Links
Untitled Document

julios

The Whisky Professor
Brad Jarvis

scotch whisky org

Scotch Whisky Org

buffalo trace

Bulleit

Man in Skirt

Highland Park

Gordon

Malts.com

Whiskt Cast

Bushmills

Whisky Drinker

mind of men

Knob Creek

Balvenie

Barr

Van Winkle

Users On-Line

In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 294 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 am

Week 13 and we're done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Whisk(e)y Challenge View previous topic :: View next topic  
Week 13 and we're done
DrEntropy
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Week 13 and we're done Reply with quote

Week 13 report - 3 weeks barrel prep and 10 weeks in wood.

We'll give you the executive summary first - we emptied the cask tonight and refilled with Wasmunds new make Rye (a topic for another thread...) for our second round in this mini barrel.

First, here's a photo of the progress with shots of 0, 14, 28, 42, 56 & 70 day samples.

Not getting much color with time. We pulled a sample last Sunday but never got around to trying it. So we'll do that one today as well... We sample the new make (0), 28, 56, 63 & 70 day samples:

We of course focus on the 56, 63 and 70 day samples and use the new make and 28 DO samples as reference. Amazing transformation between the 56 - 70 samples. No green left in the nose on the 63 and 70 with slight hints in the 56. Nose on 63 is smooth vanilla with hints of citrus and coconut while the 70 is noticably spicier and with wood present. On dramming 56 clearly needs more time and although good, could be better. 63 is amazing and really light and almost etherial. With water it opens up and gets lighter still. Finish is a little short though with a tiny bit of sour left on the back of the tongue.

70 is happening though - total shift to the spicy side from the 63 with lots of vanilla and toffee carmel on the palate and finish. It has a bit of a rye edge to it now that I can only think is from the wood. This is perfect, although I also like last weeks and may have pulled the barrel then if we had tasted it when we poured off the sample. Although tempted to pull off only a part of the cask and let the rest go further, we decide it's ready and decant the cask back into the original bottles for more family photographs.

Pretty respectable for 10 weeks in wood. Looks like we lost about 1/3 of a bottle total when you figure we took 780 ml in samples along the way (and a dram or 2 from the barrel).

Ok, that's done and now comes the final alchemy. What proof to submit it in? What final finishing might be the trick? What late night voodoo will transform this into the winning entry?

I guess we'll have to wait until Repeal Day to find out.

Good luck everyone!

Slainte! DrE

General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI that I posted a compilation of all my PFJ competition posts made to the Loch and Key forum on my website with some additional photos and text.

http://www.smwhisky.com/PLOWED/PFJ/PFJ.htm

Next stage scheduled for next weekend.

I can't wait for Repeal Day!

Hope to see y'all at the Whisky Roadshow on Wednesday.

slainte! DrE

General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty nice.

I'm a little nervous to taste mine. I recently moved and my casks have been resting comfortably at my workplace. I have not sampled any of them for a few weeks.

Got to bring them home this week and give them a taste - hope they are not overdone. Mine have been in wood since September 15 with the exception of the Rye (not part of the contest) which has been in wood since August 15.

the casks that held the whisky for the contest we all pre-filled with either bourbon, port, or my wife's concoction of a bunch of things, so it should be interesting.

DrEntropy
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I've been meaning to ask how your casks tasted out when you evaluated them earlier this month. Multiple casks? Awesome! I'm jealous and can't wait to see what you've done here.

This contest was so cool - we've learned so much about malt whisky this fall... We convened last night to assess the PSJ entry sample and were very pleased with the results. Other tasters included Merc. Andy and Liz.

For the tasting everyone got clean glasses for each sample. I think we ran through more than 60 glasses between the 4 of us before finishing.

We started with the new make vatting and a full strength cask sample. New make mostly for a baseline reference and to remember what the core flavors of the malt is. 70 day matured cask sample is really good but hot. Everyone agrees we need to water it down for judging since the drams will be tasted as presented without any water being added by the judges. We calibrate our handy measuring equipment (combo measuring spoons, long neck plastic droppers, etc) and start knocking a second sample down to decide what proof works best. Lots of discussions and we all pretty much bring it down together and surprisingly - unanimously agree we peaked at the same approximate proof. So we test this out by measuring and mixing precisely in a gradulated cylinder. Nailed it. This is the perfect proof for this dram. We add more water and it falls off. We vat a little hotter sample and it's on the other side of the curve. Serendipity.... I'll reveal the perfect proof on Repeal Day at the Judging Dinner. Then the fun really began...

Slainte! Tim, Merc, Andy & Liz

Sergeant
Sergeant

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I found most enlightening about the whole process was how much the barrel proof sample evolved simply from sitting in a glass on the table for a couple of hours.

That reference pour just kept opening up and flowering.

Back to top View user's profile Send private message
thirdgate
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you are so surprised, Andy.

I open up and flower when I'm sitting at a table with whisky for a few hours, too!

Charlie

Funknik
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirdgate wrote:

I don't know why you are so surprised, Andy.

I open up and flower when I'm sitting at a table with whisky for a few hours, too!

Charlie

Haha . . . I was not surprised so much as impressed. I think since this juice was super young and hot, I didn't expect it to gain so much so quickly. I think having this stuff out in a decanter for a day or two would work wonders.

DrEntropy
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the barrel sample changes dramatically after pouring over a couple of hours. One of those drams you pour, nose, set aside and then start hitting after an hour or so of dramming something else. I'm not sure I want to "pre-breath" it though Andy. Have to think about that.

I poured the barrel sample and the final proposed entry for a final run today. The nose on the barrel sample is amazing and the slight green edges we had on Saturday are gone. Interesting. I'm liking them both but REALLY liking the full strength barrel sample (~62%) tonight. Super full palate and finish with little burn or off notes on the finish anymore.

Or it could be me...

The entry dram is lower proof with a deeper darker palate and a sweeter finish.

This is going to be hard to choose. I think this bottle aged since Saturday given the bottle is half full and has lots of headspace. If I was bottling tonight I'd bottle it at full strength as is.

I'd better try them again tomorrow even earlier.

Happy Thanksgiving drams to all! Tim

Sergeant
Sergeant

Bonus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrEntropy wrote:

I'm not sure I want to "pre-breath" it though Andy. Have to think about that.

Just a thought from a guy who knows nothing about Scotch (except what my Dr. tells me).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Whisk(e)y Challenge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: