Search
¤  www.lochandkey.com Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
www.lochandkey.com
A Whiskey Society
  SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarEvents Calendar    
RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Navigation

Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Thru' the Keyhole Newsletter

Email

Links
Untitled Document

julios

The Whisky Professor
Brad Jarvis

scotch whisky org

Scotch Whisky Org

buffalo trace

Bulleit

Man in Skirt

Highland Park

Gordon

Malts.com

Whiskt Cast

Bushmills

Whisky Drinker

mind of men

Knob Creek

Balvenie

Barr

Van Winkle

Users On-Line

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 294 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 am

Ladies and Gentleman we have a Winner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Whisk(e)y Challenge View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladies and Gentleman we have a Winner
scotchmaster
Manager
Manager

Bonus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Ladies and Gentleman we have a Winner Reply with quote

Congratulations to Andrew Hobgood the winner of the Pussy Foot Johnson Whisk(e)y Challenge. Good on you Lad. Please contact Ryan at the store for your booty.

The Dog of the evening was from our good friend and Commonwealth Wine and Spirits Rep John Gill.

If you are interested on your score and tasting notes PM me via this site with you Blind Pig number (on the half sheet of paper you received with your sample bottle and barrel kit) and I will give you your results.

Pete Shweddy: "Well, there's no beating my Balls. They're made from a secret Schweddy Family recipe. No one can resist my Schweddy Balls." (Alec Baldwin as Pete Sweddy talking about his holiday balls on SNL)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
tharkis
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those dog tags were almost mine! so close, i was in the running for the worst =D

Congrats everyone, it was real fun!

havok66
Manager
Manager

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have recovered, (mind, body and soul), from Saturday’s judging and snowy ride home, here are the official results!

1st Place, the winner of the First Annual Pussyfoot Johnson’s Folly Whisk(e)y Challenge Invitational is:
Andrew Hobgood!
Andrew gets his name on the Pussyfoot Johnson Memorial Jug, a Loch & K(e)y barrel trophy to take home, two VIP tickets to The Whisky Life cruise in Boston (May,2010) and a $50 gift certificate To Julio’s Liquors!

2nd Place goes to Dave Johnson who gets two tickets to The Whisky Life cruise in Boston (May,2010)

3rd Place goes to Brian Blackwell who gets a 5liter empty barrel from Wasmund’s

And finally,
The K9 award goes John Gill (wear that dog tag proud!) who gets one ticket to The Whisky Life cruise in Boston (May,2010) so, he may taste what whisk(e)y is suppose to taste like!

I would like to thank everyone who participated in the Whisk(e)y Challenge!
I think everyone had fun with it and learned a little along the way.
Would all the entrants please post what they did to the whisk(e)y?
All the entries, (except Johnny Gills), were interesting and many were innovative.

Thanks to our guest Judges, Professor Rick Wasmund and Professor Jeff Karlovitch.

To Everyone: GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR! (rye?)

Sergeant
Sergeant

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

Tremendous, I'm honored!

I will be happy to do a write-up of my aging approach, as well, in the interest of full disclosure.

/Andrew

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pappy fan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work Andrew

BBlacks
Private
Private

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: 3rd place Reply with quote

Fantastic news. The people involved with this are far beyond me in whiskey knowledge so I too am greatly honored. Congratulations to Andy as well. Wish I could have made it to this event but family duty kept me detained. Sounds like it was a great time - I am definitely going to work to get out for the next event. For those interested, the third place process went as follows:

- Drill a 1" hole (the exact size of the Wasmund's bottle) in the top of two coconuts.

- Drain the coconuts of all liquid fill both coconuts then let sit overnight.

- Add vanilla extract to remainder spirit in both bottles - exact measurement unknown, just enough to discolor, shake then pour into barrel

- Screw the empty bottle onto coconut the next day (they actually screw on) and dump the contents back into the bottle, then pour into barrel

- Age to taste...I have no idea how long I did, but I think it's easy to get nervous about this and de-cask it too soon - at least 2 months.

- Bottle and add 5-6 dried cherries to the bottle and let sit for 48 hrs...could have gone longer, but it started having that blackberry brandy taste to me.

kz
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank all the judges, Julio's Liquors, Rick Wasmund and the team at Copper Fox, all the other contest entrants, and the entire Loch and K(e)y crowd. I apologize that I couldn't make it to the Repeal Day dinner for the announcement.

My approach went roughly as follows:

July 8:

Given the starting point of a 100% malt whisky, and knowing the peatophile nature of the L&K crowd, I'm aiming for a light-to-moderate peat profile in a Scotch-styled whisky.

Initial mouth-vatting of the new make spirit yields positive results with small amounts of highly peated "supporting" whiskies.

I had an idea to do a sort of "liquid smoke" from burning peat blocks, and adding a very small amount to the whisky, but this never panned out.

July 9:

Prepared the barrel with a quick warm-water soak with charcoal-filtered (Brita) water... after a few hours and no leaks, I drained the barrel, dried it out, and filled with my "conditioning" mix.

The conditioning mix was aimed at trying to replicate a second-fill bourbon cask. It was a 750mL each of Knob Creek and Glenlivet 12. Both had been sitting on the shelf for a while, and I was unlikely to drink either one. Also filled up the remaining headspace with a few other random whiskies that were at the bottoms of their bottles.

July 17:

Conditioning mix stayed in the barrel for a bit over a full week, and the barrel was kept outdoors, in full shade (mid-July weather was rather warm and humid).

Cask drained (and "Glen Knobbin'" re-bottled, tastes rather good!).

Added the 1.5L of Wasmund's Single Malt Spirit.

August 5:

Three weeks into my aging, Rick Wasmund presented a tasting at Whisk(e)y Wednesday. Tasting the finished Wasmund's malt for the first time, I am somewhat dismayed to find that many of the "rough edges" in the new make are still present in the final product... starting to wonder if any amount of oak is going to help mellow it out.

September 16 (+8.5 weeks):

After 8.5 weeks in the conditioned barrel, the spirit had taken on some good color and pleasant oaky notes. It still had some of the aforementioned "rough edges," but had taken some major steps toward drinkability. Any additional oak would have just made it rather woody, so it's time to pull.

Started working on my vatting. Measured very carefully such as to stay in the letter and the spirit (pun intended) of the "25% rule" (1.5L of spirit, 0.5L of headroom for our own additions)... I used slightly more than half of the remaining spirit (a full 750mL) and added another 250mL of other whiskies.

Final vatting mix will be posted tonight as soon as I can get to my notes.

The 1L of vatted combination was then added back to the barrel for marriage.

September 29:

After two weeks of marriage, the result is about as good as I can expect. I measured out the right volume of whisky and room-temperature water (used bottled Speyside Glenlivet water) to reach an estimated 48-50% ABV in the bottle. Filled up the blind pig, sealed it, and left it on the shelf.

I'll post up my tasting and vatting notes tonight.

Thanks again, everyone!

/Andrew

kz
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bonus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "vatting" bill:

750 mL Wasmund's Single Malt Spirit (aged as described)
100 mL Compass Box Peat Monster (Ardmore, Laphroaig)
100 mL Ardbeg "Old 10" (L7143)
25 mL Ardbeg Supernova (L9)
25 mL Lagavulin 16

While I would have expected this combination of malts to come out a bit ... muddy ... on the palate, I found that I was able to get a distinctive, spicy component that none of the other whiskies had on its own.

I can't wait to hear the tasting notes from the judges and see what they found special.

I have about 300mL of my finished product still in the bottle, and will bring it along this Wednesday for people to try.

/Andrew

pappy fan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Bonus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now from the first loser some times referred to as second place Laughing

July 19 added 1 bottle of Osborne Sherry to season the barrel

Aug 2 drained out the sherry and added 2 bottles of Wasmunds Single malt

Aug 23 starting to get some nice color in sample but would like to get more wood in sample Shocked added some toasted green white oak to barrel

Sept 20 removed the added white oak from the barrel lots of spice on the end
other the that not to bad

Oct 4 filled the pig with a sample great color nice noise but more spice then we would like

Oct 20 Barrel is at it's best Embarassed this is when I made a mistake I put he pig sample Oct 4 back into the barrel

Nov 22 filled the pig for judging has more spice in the finish then I would like Rolling Eyes

Dave

DrEntropy
General
General

Bonus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stories - hope you folks can make the Dec 30 WW so we can try these again. We'll be down for sure.

Here's how we finished up our samples after pulling them from the barrel:

We convened a tasting panel on Saturday Nov 21 comprised of Liz, Andy, Merc and myself. We started with pours of the new make (primarily as a ref sample) and the the full strength barrel sample aged 70 days. Decided we needed to water this down so we started adding water and tasting. After about 20 minutes we decided that diluting down to about 50% worked best so we set that parameter.

Next we discussed what this dram was like and all agreed it was good, but still had some rough green edges that needed some minor "smoothing". Since we wanted to keep the core profile of the Wasmund's spirit intact we arbitrarily set the final vatting ratio as 90% Wasmunds and 10% finishing whisky and started vatting. We tasted and tested the following vattings over the next 2 hours (all 90% Wasmunds diluted to 50% with 10% of the following whiskys added at bottle strength):

1. Campbeltown Loch 25 yo (46%) - old blended whisky and long time favorite
2. Ardbeg Blasda (40%)
3. Talisker 25 yo, 2005 bottling (57.2%)
4. Springbank 15 yo, current US Black Label release (46%)
5. Ardbeg Corryvreckan (57.1%)
6. Longmorn 15 yo (45%) - previous OB release now pretty much gone
7. Four Roses - Julio's Single Barrel BS 34-1C (50%) - this was the whiskey we seasoned the barrel with and we used the as bottled version, not the 18 day finished sample.
8. Glenlivet Nadurra Batch 0606A (57.2%)
9. Bruichladdich 20 yo 1st Release post-reopening (46%)
10. Springbank 10 yo, Binny's Single Cask No 97/613 (58.2%)

We thought we nailed it with the Blasda which was absolutely perfect when poured but disintegrated over the next hour as we tasted through the rest. Same thing happened with the Corryvreckan vatting. These vattings didn't work at all and were rejected immediately: Longmorn, Four Roses, Nadurra and Bruichladdich.

We narrowed our tasting to the promising samples and the Springbank 15 shone through really clearly and consisently across the entire tasting event. Tried a vatting with the UK release of the current black label release and the US release was noticably better, even tho they dram almost the same as is.

So we designated the Springer 15 as the vatting dram and we shelved the entire project to retaste in a week to make sure it still worked then, Retasted the samples at my mom's house after Thanksgiving dinner (5 days later), confirmed the Springer 15 was still the overall best vatting and vatted the blind pig sample to the combined horror and amusement of my family who is now convinced we've gone over the edge whisky-wise and are probably beyond redemption. Much muttering by my mom around the subject of "good thing he never had any kids...." although I think my teenage nieces were totally fascinated and probably damaged for life.

Overall the most interesting part was just how much the core profile shifted with the 10% sample additions and how these samples shifted with time. Also found some single malts that Andy actually liked which was a big acheivement for a confirmed bourbon/rye nutcase.

We'll be at the Dec 30 Good, Bad and Ugly PFJ sample tasting and have the remainders of the sample vattings if anyone wants a small taste (these were only 50 ml samples so not a lot left in any of them - but we might as well kill them off!) Also have the full strength sample left unvatted if anyone is interested in trying that. I tried that this weekend and it's getting much better as it breathes in the half empty Wasmund's bottle.

Again, we really enjoyed this competition and learned a lot about maturing/vatting whisky and what matters. Only regret is that I didn't course filter the dram when it came out of the barrel since we ended up with some floaters in the final dram that could have been eliminated.

Slainte! Tim and Merc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.lochandkey.com Forum Index -> Whisk(e)y Challenge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: